Development of FreePDK: An Open-Source Process Design Kit for Advanced Technology Nodes
- Speaker(s): Kirti Bhanushali
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- other information: www.ece.ncsu.edu
The design rules, layout guidelines and evolution of the open source predictive process design kit (PDK) FreePDK are discussed. This talk mainly focusses on FreePDK15TM which was developed for 15nm FinFET devices and was developed in collaboration with MentorGraphics. The FreePDK15 kit uses HSPICE Simulation Models from the ASU 14nm PTM-MG HP model (http://ptm.asu.edu). This talk also goes through the development of design rules and discusses the metal-stack including the use of Middle-of-line layouts used for FinFETs  . The material properties used are discussed and it is verified by use of simple/complex layouts. The kit supports technology library and display resources for Cadence Virtuoso and Mentor Calibre DRC, LVS, and xRC rules.
- Repository/Download Link: https://www.eda.ncsu.edu/eda_registration.php
- Main documentation website: https://www.eda.ncsu.edu/wiki/FreePDK
- Mailing list: If you would like to sign up to receive email alerts of design kit releases, please check out this url: https://www.eda.ncsu.edu/wiki/Ncsu-eda-announcements
- K. Bhanushali and W. R. Davis, "FreePDK15: An Open-Source Predictive Process Design Kit for 15nm FinFET Technology", In Proceedings of the 2015 Symposium on International Symposium on Physical Design (ISPD '15), pp. 165-170.
- K. Bhanushali, "Design Rule Development for FreePDK15: An Open Source Predictive Process Design Kit for 15nm FinFET Devices," Masters Thesis, NCSU, 2014.
- C. Tembe, "Layout and Parasitic Extraction for FreePDK15TM: An Open Source Predictive Process Design Kit for 15nm FinFET Devices," Masters Thesis, NCSU, 2015